Admissions for Transfer Students

Transfer students may apply to the University of Washington Seattle campus and the COM or JPIC major simultaneously during spring quarter admission cycles only for autumn quarter admission. Students will be required to complete and submit their UW admissions application and a separate major application to either COM or JPIC. Students applying during autumn or winter quarter admission cycles for the following quarter’s admission to UW will be eligible to apply to the COM and JPIC majors once they have started their first quarter at the UW. All prerequisites and admission eligibility criteria to COM and JPIC must be completed at the time of application. 

Admission to COM and JPIC are contingent upon admission to the UW. Submission deadlines for UW and the COM and JPIC majors may differ. Please refer to the UW Admissions page and the Department of Communication Admissions page for more information. In your UW application essay, we recommend that you speak to your interests and goals with studying Communication or JPIC. The strongest applicants to the UW are not those who show only evidence of previous academic rigor, but those who also show interest in fields of study at the UW and intent with what they wish to do with those studies.

Department of Communication advisers do not evaluate transcripts to determine how courses may transfer to the UW. Transcripts are evaluated officially by the UW Office of Admissions only when a student applies to the university. If you are transferring from a Washington area community college, you can determine the way your classes transfer to UW by using the Admission Office’s Transfer Equivalency Guide.

After submitting your enrollment deposit to the university, admitted transfer students will attend the required Transfer Advising & Orientation hosted by UW First Year Programs. This is a chance for you to meet with a COM adviser and create a plan to successfully complete your course requirements. If you have questions about transfer student admission to the COM or JPIC majors, please visit our academic advising web page.