The goal of the UW COM Undergraduate Mentoring Program is to enrich and support the professional, academic and personal experiences of students by intentionally pairing them with Communication alumni. We hope this program will allow our undergraduate students to develop a strong relationship with alumni who have lived the UW COM student experience.
This is a multi-quarter program starting in November and ending in May. Applications open during fall quarter, and matches will be made as soon as possible. Mentees must then attend a goal-setting orientation before meeting with their mentors.
In general, graduating communication seniors are given priority in the application process. Your work experience, extracurricular activities, previous career preparation, and GPA all factor in the admission decision as well.
Benefits for Mentees: Build your network. Expand your horizons. Find new opportunities.
- Academic Guidance – study skills, post-undergraduate school planning
- Career Advice – job shadowing, resume critiques, personal brand development, interviewing tips, general career guidance
- Personal Growth – the discovery and elevation of mentees’ unique talents, connecting their personal passions to their professional futures
- Monthly communications – by phone, video conferencing (ex: Zoom), over email
- A minimum of three program meetings, including the Kick-Off, Mid-Point Check-In, and Program Finale
- Mentees will work with their mentors to prepare a lightning talk (3 min.) on their most valuable lesson(s) learned during this experience. Mentees will present this talk during the Program Finale
2020-2021 key dates:
To be announced!
Mentor Career Pathways include:
- Public Relations Account Executive
- Community Events Organizer
- Digital Marketer, both for Non-Profits and Fortune 500 companies
- Director of Member Services
- Multimedia News Producer and Reporter
- Broadcast Journalist and TV Anchor
Meet your mentors: The UW Department of Communication Alumni Professional Development Board
If you have any questions, please contact Megan Jeffrey, Alumni Relations and Outreach Manager at email@example.com.