The Department of Communication offers the following programs of study for undergraduates:
The Bachelor of Arts degree with a major in Communication (COM)
The Bachelor of Arts degree with a major in Communication: Journalism and Public Interest Communication (JPIC)
Application Information for COM and JPIC
The Department of Communication accepts applications during autumn, winter, and spring quarters. Applications are always due by 5 p.m. exactly one week (7 calendar days) after the first day of the quarter. The application is in a Google Form – you must be logged into your UW account to access the application. Admission decisions are sent out by 5:00 PM on Friday during the fifth week of the application quarter.
- Basic Information. This includes name, address, email, student number, COM courses taken, and grades. Please note: all applications must be submitted using UW emails. Applications will not be considered if the email used in the application is a personal email address.
- Transcripts. Unofficial transcripts from all institutions attended, including the UW are required to be uploaded via DropBox as part of the application.
- Program Interests. If you are interested in the Departmental Honors Program, student organizations, minors, and/or additional majors, please indicate so when applying so that we can help you plan out your time at the UW.
- Personal Statement. All personal statements must be 2,500 characters long (including spaces) and written about why students want to study Communication and what they would like to learn that would affect their personal, professional, or community life.
- Writing Sample. Communication: Journalism and Public Interest Communication applicants only. Applicants are to provide any previously published work, creative writing, or previous essays exemplify their writing capabilities.
- Additional Comments. If you would like to further explain any parts of your application, please use this section.
APPLICATIONS (click on links below)
Applications for the Communication and Journalism and Public Interest Communication (JPIC) majors are online and are available the first week of autumn, winter, and spring quarters. Autumn 2023 applications are available starting Wednesday, September 27th, at 8:00 a.m. PST and are due Wednesday, October 4th, at 5:00 p.m. PDT.
Once their application has been submitted, applicants will receive a copy of their application via the email they used. This is confirmation of submission. If no copy has been received, it may either be in another mailbox, such as Spam or Junk, or it may indicate that the application has not been fully submitted.
The Department of Communication considers appeals for only:
a) new information that was not available at the time of the original application, or
b) correction of material error in the original application.
Appeals are extremely selective and should address one or both of these criteria to be considered. To appeal an admissions decision, email a statement of no more than 200 words that outlines one of the above reasons. Appeals should be received no more than one week after the initial decisions are delivered (Friday before 5 p.m. PDT) and you will receive a response within 10 days. These statements are reviewed by academic advising and the Department chair (or her appointee), who make a final decision.
Please be specific and succinct in addressing why the admissions decision should be reversed. Appeals can be emailed to Communication Advising at email@example.com.