Ph.D., Communication, University of California, Santa Barbara, 2011
M.A., International Studies, University of London School for Oriental and African Studies, 2006
B.A., Armenian, Arabic, Persian, Turkish, & Islamic Studies; American Culture, University of Michigan, 2001
Office: CMU 340E
Katy E. Pearce, Associate Professor, researches social and political uses of technologies and digital content in non-democratic contexts, specifically in the semi- and fully-authoritarian states of former Soviet Union. Her current research areas include digital divides and inequalities; the affordances of information and communication technologies for social and opposition movements; and online impression management. Pearce also holds an affiliation with the Ellison Center for Russian East European, and Central Asian Studies.
- Pearce, K. E., Donohoe, D., Barta, K., & Vitak, J. (2022). Online social support for infertility in Azerbaijan. New Media & Society. http://doi.org/10.1177/14614448221097946
- Pearce, K. E., Donohoe, D., Barta, K., & Vitak, J. (2022). The influence of social media discussion on son preference in Azerbaijan: Reinforcing norms, bargaining with patriarchy, space for dissent. International Journal of Communication, 16, 2456-2476.
- Malhotra, P, & Pearce, K. E. (2022). Facing falsehoods: Strategies for polite misinformation correction. International Journal of Communication, 16, 2303-2324. https://ijoc.org/index.php/ijoc/article/view/18361
- Pearce, K. E., & Malhotra, P. (2022). Inaccuracies and izzat: Channel affordances for the consideration of face in misinformation correction. Journal of Computer-mediated Communication, 27(2). https://doi.org/10.1093/jcmc/zmac004
- Pearce, K. E., Gonzales, A. L., & Foucault Welles, B. (2020). Introduction: Marginality and social media. Social Media & Society, 1-9. http://doi.org/10.1177/2056305120930413
- Pearce, K. E. (2015). Democratizing kompromat: The affordances of social media for state-sponsored harassment. Information, Communication & Society, 18, 1158-1174. doi:10.1080/1369118X.2015.1021705
- Pearce, K. E., & Vitak, J. (2016). Performing honor online: The affordances of social media for surveillance and impression management in an honor culture. New Media & Society, 18, 2595-2612. doi:10.1177/1461444815600279
- Evans, S. K., Pearce, K. E., Vitak, J., & Treem, J. W. (2016). Explicating affordances: A conceptual framework for understanding affordances in communication research. Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, 22, 35-52. doi: 10.1111/jcc4.12180
- Pearce, K. E., & Kendzior, S. (2012). Networked authoritarianism and social media in Azerbaijan. Journal of Communication, 62, 283-298. doi:10.1111/j.1460-2466.2012.01633.x
- Pearce, K. E., & Rice, R. E. (2013). Digital divides from access to activities: Comparing mobile and PC Internet users. Journal of Communication, 63, 721-744. doi:10.1111/jcom.12045